Thursday, August 27, 2009

ePortfolios


Save your work. Don't throw it out!


We all remember a time when we searched our house or apartment looking for a missing item. We could never remember where we put it. Then the shock wave came over us because we realized that it was tossed a month ago. Perhaps it was an old shirt or a letter from an old friend. We wished we held on to that now valuable piece of memory. Maybe that missing item was a wonderful article that we wrote, a documentary video that we created or a spellbounding photo of a sunset that we shot.


This documentation is the value of an ePortfolio. The idea behind an ePortfolio is to manage and save creative learning evidence (ie, class projects) for a resume. Students are the creators and managers of their own ePortfolios as artistic, text-based, research, video production or aural messages are kept as evidence of work during a collegiate career. Moreover, it allows students an opportunity to organize and convey important work.


To document is to decide the fate of one's future.


3 comments:

  1. As a senior in high school I was told about e-Portfolios by my English teacher. I didn't pay it any attention thinking I would never get much use out of such a thing. But now as a freshman at Kent State I have realized that e-Portfolios are my savior. I’m not a very organized person and e-Portfolios help me save all my work and important documents for my classes. Not only can I organize my schoolwork, I can save my personal photos (i love taking pictures) and I also document my personal achievements for later reference when I’m making a resume. I suggest anyone striving to be more organized look into e-Portfolios!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently looked into e-portfolios for myself. I heard about it from a friend who said that it saved her GPA when it came down to classes. I am normally a very organized person, but recently things have just been piling up for classes and everything that I noticed things were starting to go missing. So I took my friends advice and created an e-portfolio and it so far has been great. I save important documents and previous papers i have written to my e-portfolio. This is a great way to stay organized and on top of everything for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading through your blogs, I found this one to be the most interesting because it related the most to myself. I am constantly looking for old papers or important pictures that I cannot find either as printouts or stashed somewhere in my computer's hard drive. Using the ePortfolio would make my life as a student and future teacher so much easier. Because of the easy to use eportfolio, it will make creating a highly competitive resume much easier as well as provide my future possible employers an easy one stop spot to find all of my past projects which may display my qualifications for the position i am applying for.

    ReplyDelete